Tuesday, April 28, 2015

As We Wrap Up Homeschooling...

I have learned so much this year while homeschooling Savannah..  it's hard to believe we are almost finished with kindergarten! I feel like we are just now getting into a comfortable, familiar rhythm. I don't want to fall out of routine and/or have Savan forget some of the things she is currently learning about, so we will probably take a little breather, but continue math and reading throughout the summer! Not to worry - there'll be lots of field trips, swimming parties, and slumber parties, too! :))

Homeschooling has been such a unique experience.  I'm thankful for Savan and how forgiving she has been while we figure everything out, how willing she has been to adjust and adapt when we needed to, and how quickly she catches on to all of her material! She is such a fast little learner - it makes school so easy for me! 

Now that Grammie and Pops live here, they are able to bring some of Savan's lessons to their house and Grammie will do school there!  What a treat!! Savannah ADORES being homeschooled by Grammie, even though she comes home with twice the workload she does with me! Haa!!  What a beautiful life.

I read this quote somewhere and it crosses my mind constantly:
"There is nothing that makes a child feel more wanted than homeschooling."  It's not always easy.  It's not always cute lessons with chocolate pudding.  Sometimes, Savannah's brothers break all her crayons, so we have nothing to color with, or I have to nurse and Savan has to stay focused without me sitting by her side showing her exactly what to do, or I'm just trying to not lose it because Savannah is hiding under the table, hoping I forget that extra handwriting practice worksheet!  

BUT.

It's worth it.  It has all been worth it.

Through all the confusion, the chaos, and the uncertainties, homeschooling has shown me that life is a vapor, that my time with my sweet girl is fleeting.  I'm choosing to make the most of every moment,  savoring the daily triumphs, recognizing how we can improve and grow tomorrow. All moms know that time flies by, but homeschooling is the secret on how to slow it down. There is a bond that is so special and it develops with every day we spend together...  I want my children to feel loved, needed, and wanted.

God is so good, so gracious, and so amazing..  
He knew the desires of my heart before I knew them myself. 

With only a few weeks left, I'm enjoying lightening the load and pursuing more of a relaxed learning environment.. which includes lots of trips to the property, popcorn and movies on school nights, and spontaneous day trips to the playground and sno-cone stand. Does life get any better than this?!

When you see a broken hanger, it belongs in the trash, right??  Right!  ....Unless you have a 4 year old boy who, with a little handle made of tape, can instantly become CAPTAIN HOOK!
Arghhhhhh!!

Cutest little captain I've ever seen!

After learning all about the life cycle of a butterfly, we had to act it out!!
Here is our butterfly egg..

...that grew into a wiggly caterpillar...

....who grew up and wrapped itself in a cocoon! Here are my two little chrysalis'!

Andrew's "ninja turtle butterfly," ha!!

I don't know if I've ever seen a more beautiful grown-up butterfly!!!!

Stretching their new wings!

This.  Just this.
If I could capture the essence of a little girl, innocent and pure and free and joyful, in a picture...
it would be this one.

I am so thankful that she is mine!

Our littlest man enjoyed watching his siblings jump and dance about.. so much so that he even started giggling!!  What a sweet little face!



He looks so much like his older sister!!

I love that sweet smiley face!!

What a precious life we are living.  I just want to soak it all in..
Dancing butterflies and all.

2 comments:

  1. balookie is so cute with his little hook!!!
    also, tell wadie to mow the grass hahaha!!!
    and tell van to STOP GROWING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, This is like a dream come true. Full of butterflies and joyful days. Remember when we used to call you "whisper of wind?" That is what the picture of Savannah reminded me of...dancing in the wind to the beautiful melody of heaven. Thank you, Jesus, for you indescribable gifts! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
From childhood friends to high school sweethearts, and now newlyweds and brand-new parents, Wade and I can only thank Jesus for His incredible blessings. Our three children are the ULTIMATE gifts from God and we pray that our lives glorify Him. He is our everything.