Saturday, December 17, 2016

Fall Fun in the Backyard

When I first joined our homeschool co-op, I remember hearing so many moms talk about how you can always spot homeschooled kids.  They are uniquely creative and are always thinking outside of the box.  The more I've worked with the kids there, the more I understand what they are saying.  They aren't as strongly influenced by their peers and don't follow the status quo..  instead, they are wildly imaginative and come up with such remarkable ideas!!  I love hearing the kids talk and pretend and create..  their individual thought processes are amazing!!

So I should not have been surprised when I walked out the back doors one day to find Vannie playing with her bike.  Not riding her bike.. but "washing clothes like the old people had to."  Hahaa!!  She had threaded a washcloth through the back tire spokes and was turning the pedals, watching the washcloth spin around.

She washed clothes for awhile and then her bike transitioned from a washing machine to a spinning wheel like Aurora's!!  I love life through a child's eyes!!

Brother, meanwhile, flipped his bike over and.. crrrr, breaker, breaker 1-9, over and out... his kickstand became his microphone. ;))

Sweet little Grant just enjoyed the show!!

With all the trees in our backyard, we get to watch as fall turns the leaves from green to yellow to brown, and when they start dropping.. we start running!!

The game is to catch them before they hit the ground!!

Hahaa, it's actually harder than it looks!!

I put them all on the swing for a few family shots..

Yaaaayyy, fall!!

And then they all wanted to race!!  I love that they're all such good friends (usually, ha!)!!

We've also made a new friend!!  This is Duke, the lab from a few houses down that has started coming over to play.. and my kiddos aren't complaining. ;))

Before Thanksgiving, we read Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims.. it comes highly recommended, and while it was good, it took a lot of excitement and drama in my voice to keep the kids really engaged.  I promised the kids that once we finished the book, we would watch Pocahontas.. and so we did!!  Also, how beautiful is my little papoose right here?!

I've said for years that I wanted to do a family Thanksgiving meal with just our little family..  Complete with me wearing an apron, pulling a juicy and perfect turkey out of the oven, and lovingly placing it in the center of the table that's already covered in piping hot, delicious side dishes..
Ummm. Yeah right.
Ha!!  But I still try to make that happen every year!!  We all made out a menu together (I asked the kids if they could pick only one pie to eat for Thanksgiving, what it would be.. and they all chose PUMPKIN PIE!!  I was so surprised, but thought it was a perfect choice!!)  Here is our menu, along with our grocery list!!  Precious Wadie took these 3 big kids to the store and they all shopped together, gathering our food supplies to celebrate before the harsh winter ahead. ;))
I stayed home with Baby Samuel and prepared the house for their return.. scarecrows on the windowsill, pumpkins on the steps, Pumpkin Chai candles burning.  What is it about fall that makes you want to celebrate simply being alive?!  

"Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; His love endures forever.  Let the redeemed of the Lord tell their story, those He redeemed from the hand of the foe.."  Ps 107:1-2

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
From childhood friends to high school sweethearts, and now newlyweds and brand-new parents, Wade and I can only thank Jesus for His incredible blessings. Our three children are the ULTIMATE gifts from God and we pray that our lives glorify Him. He is our everything.